Data Visualization, in essence, is the graphical representation of information and data.
It might be done by using a chart, a map, or a graph to make the statistics more prominent and understandable. The visual elements are used to convey complicated information in a clear and concise manner. Thus, it becomes easier for the reader to analyze the data effectively.
The core purpose of data visualization is to –
- Quickly grasp a pattern or a trend and ensure that it’s being used effectively.
- Follow the organization’s regular working procedure and find follies in it.
- Getting more information through raw data and making it more recognizable.
Data visualization is mostly used in the field of business and engineering. However, now, due to its uniqueness, it’s also being used to manifest a science project properly.
Data visualization can be quite beneficial for a business if it’s being used properly. Let’s keep reading this article till the end to know more about it.
With data visualization, you can see a pattern or a trend much more clearly and efficiently. So, if you can present the information in a more visual format, you will be able to identify almost any issue accordingly. This way, it will be easier for you to make a decision effectively.
The better you understand the context, the more improved decisions you’ll be able to make. It is ideal for the betterment of your business and the productivity it comes with.
Data visualization may help you communicate complicated information with your team in an efficient and concise manner. The data may also enable a user to present the data he or she has accumulated in front of managers, stakeholders, and other interested parties.
Also, they can also add a specific section related to the explanation regarding the data. Hence, it will be easier for everyone to consult on the topic while being on the same page.
Unlike normal presentations, the proceeding of a data visualization concept is more interactive and engaging. Hence, it will be easier for you to remember whatever’s written there, as you’re not dealing with numbers and pure information anymore.
If you want, you can note down the required information while discarding whatever you don’t need. There’s no need to deal with raw and unrefined data with it anymore.
If you’re thinking about creating a data visualization project, it will be important for you to go through a 7-step procedure. Here’s what you need to know about it.
- Step – 1: To begin with, you’ll need to find a way to identify and validate the data that you want to visualize through a chart. This could be anything – whether it’s related to a company or your consumer base – that must be evaluated and presented elaborately.
- Step – 2: Secondly, you have to choose a type of visualization you want to opt for. The categories of the same might include – charts, maps, graphs, and infographics. Each of these serves different purposes. So, you should prepare accordingly.
- Step – 3: Now, you have to collect the information from your database and clean it in a proper manner. It will include you searching different segments of your business while checking if there’s any error to the accumulated information. You can use a tool for it.
- Step – 4: Once you have kept the data in a clean database, you should start working on assessing it. It can help you identify a pattern, an insight, or a trend. You may do so by using statistical analysis or some other tools to determine relations between them.
- Step – 5: Write down every detail that you have found about the information and begin working on creating a visualization. This will involve at least one software tool, like – Python, Tableau, or Microsoft Excel. You can create a chart or a graph with them.
- Step – 6: If you have already created the visualization, you should start refining it. It’s easy to do if you have a tool. The manual process will take a lot of time to complete. It might also lead to the retention of an error due to the complexity of the procedure.
- Step – 7: Finally you will have to find a way to present the visualization in front of the people who are in charge of the business. It’s generally done through a slideshow or a report in most cases. But you can also use an interactive dashboard if you want to.
Creating a data visualization project or model will require a perfect combination of creative and technical expertise from your side. So, if you are unable to do anything, it might be better to make sure that you are taking someone else’s help.
After all, you have to present the data perfectly, no matter what. And the window of making a mistake is pretty small here, especially if you are assessing your consumer data here.